Minutes & Bylaws
October 25, 2023
CHMPA Meeting Agenda and Notes
October 25, 2023
Note Taker: Kim Schwarz
- Welcome and Introductions (Kim Schwarz, Violeta Alarcon, Leah Isaacs)
- Treasurer’s Report (Leah Isaacs)
- As of the beginning of the school year: Total Revenue $1,609 ($1,280 Corewear + $306 COREchella Food Trucks), Total Expenses $15,616 ($3,200 Band instrument purchased for music dept’s COREchella support + $5K 12th grade Hamlet Experience field trip) + $3,740 Marketing presentation folders (tours); DOES NOT INCLUDE $34K SnapRaise donations
- Program Updates (Jennifer Macon)
- Dia de Los Muertos event (300 students participating in an almost full day event.) Additionally we have performers at lunchtime and the Cleveland Choir will also be performing. The actual Dia de Los Muertos event will be on Thursday, November 2nd. The set-up will be on Wednesday, November 1st in the Performing Arts Center. Sorry for the change.
- The 11th graders are going to UCLA this Friday, October 27th. Today was the PSAT, so the field trip kicks off a college journey.
- If any of you have 8th graders, we switched the prospective parent tour date this week from Friday to Thursday. We have had an enormous response, we have seen over 400 families, with a total of about 950 people. We have a large tour tomorrow (120 participants), November 3rd (177 participants), November 15th (118 participants). We will resume touring in the Spring for anyone who hasn’t been able to join in the Fall. The eChoices application window closes November 17th.
- I don’t know if all of you know, but Cleveland is very invested in the social emotional well being of the students. 10 academic
counselors, 2 attendance counselors, 2 psychiatric social workers, 1 school psychologist. I have been SO impressed with our guest speaker, an amazing resource and support for us, and with great appreciation to introduce Mr. Syed.
- Guest Speaker (Mr. Syed, LAUSD Counselor, LCSW and Psychiatric Social Worker) presenting on “Cutting the Risk of Depression in Half.”
- Blessed to be a part of such an amazing and dedicated team of educators. Ms. Macon is a vital component of the CORE program and it is my pleasure to be here.
- Parent Volunteer Opportunities (Kim Schwarz)
- Questions re: AP Chem teacher search? Ms. Macon shared that Ms. Duong is working on it, together with Ms. Macon and trying to get chemistry substitute, and/or APEX online solution (but they are waiting on District approval.) The students enrolled in AP Chem will still be in AP Chem and will still be able to take the exam. The school is also working on any resources they can provide to support and guide the students. They are aware of the importance of supporting the students through this.
- Next meeting date: Wednesday, November 29th at 7:00 pm (via ZOOM)